Dr. Melissa Anne Akinyi Omino was admitted to the Bar as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya in 2011 and obtained her LLB (Honours) degree from the University of Fort Hare (South Africa) and LLM in Mercantile Law from the University of Stellenbosch (South Africa). Her thesis was based in Intellectual Property Law and in particular in Copyright Law. Dr. Omino joined the Firm of Havelock Muriuki & Raval Advocates as a Pupil in 2010 under the tutelage of Honorable Justice Jonathan Bowen Havelock (Retired). Following admission to the Bar in Kenya she became an Associate Advocate at LJA Associates Advocates. Dr. Omino is a founding Member of an intellectual property forum, IP Check-In.
Dr. Omino graduated in May 2017 with a Doctoral Law Degree in Mercantile Law & Intellectual Property from the University of Fort Hare, South Africa.
- Member Law Society of Kenya.
- Member East African Law Society.
- Committee Member, Law Society of Kenya Sub-Committee on Intellectual Property Law.
- Founding Member IP Check-In.
Intellectual Property including trademarks, patents and copyrights; Mercantile Law, Legal Analysis and Research, Commercial Law & Conveyancing as well as Corporate Law.
- Co Founder and Current Management Committee Member of the IPCheckIn a group of individuals interested in Intellectual Property Practice and Legislation in Nairobi. Founded in 2011 the IP Check In has been hosted at the iHUB and is now currently hosted at the Strathmore Centre for Intellectual Property and Technology based at the Law Faculty of the Strathmore University.
- Participated as a Resource Person at the 6th Edition of the Kenya Film Festival (KIFF) IP Rights and Exploitation Workshop 24th October 2011 coordinated by the Nigerian firm dtalkshop through one of its platforms ‘Wetin Lawyers Dey Do…Sef?’ used to bridge the gap between lawyers other professionals and the film industry players. Other resource persons included Dr Marisella Ouma Executive Director of the Kenya Copyright Board, Mr. Emeka Mba Director General of the Nigerian National Film and Video Censors Board, Mr. Dayo Ogunemi of Cinemax.
- Advised and acted for an international IT firm on occupation of various commercial spaces within Nairobi in liaison with their South African legal advisors.
- Advised and acted for an Educational Facility based in Australia with Branches in East Africa on their active Commercial Leases in Nairobi including providing risk matrices for their Head Office.
- Successfully improved turnaround times on approvals requested from Regulator in Financial Markets with regard to certain security transfers.